Best Outdoor Movie Screens Around $100
Inviting some friends over and setting up our outdoor movie theater is always a highlight in our house. Find a great new movie or relive a family favorite, it doesn’t matter. If you haven’t done this at your house yet, what are you waiting for? In this post, we will introduce you to some of the best outdoor movie screen options for around $100.
First, let’s talk a little bit about what else you’re going to need besides an outdoor movie screen. To get the movie showing, you’ll need an outside movie projector, media player, and speakers. In addition to that, don’t forget extension cords, power strips, and a table or stand to place it all on. Check out our guide to The Ultimate Outdoor Movie Night Checklist for all the details you’ll need.
Now that that is out of the way, let’s talk about movie screens. Today, there are so many options to choose from. They can be as simple and inexpensive as a bed sheet or up over $2000 for a super high-quality screen. Let’s take a quick look at some of the different options.
Perhaps the most simple screen you can get is a white or off-white bed sheet. They are easy to get (most people have them at home already). They are easy to put up. Some nails or thumb tacks should do the trick. Lastly, they are really inexpensive. This was the option we chose when we first started playing movies in the back yard.
They do have their drawback though. The material doesn’t quite reflect the picture the way you want it to. It dulls the image and picture quality isn’t what you get with a real screen. Bed sheets also have a tendency to get wrinkled easily. You will see these wrinkles when you are watching your movie. Lastly is that they are thin and will easily blow in the wind when you are outside.
Overall they are not a terrible option and for the cost, it is hard to beat. But for the ultimate experience, you will want to consider something different.
These screens are great. They will often have a highly reflective screen which gives you a great picture and reduces the image passing through the screen. Many have auto inflate so that you don’t have to blow them up. Once deflated they roll up nice and small so that you can store and move them easily. Lastly, they come in a variety of sizes so that you can really customize your backyard theater.
However, all of this often raises the price above the $ limits of this post. Check out our post on the Best Inflatable Movie Screens here.
These are great options. They are easy to set up, fold up easy and are often made up of highly reflective material to provide you with a great picture. They can range in style and cost considerably. Many of the screens we have featured in this article are in this category. Framed screens can be transported easily making them a great option for outdoor movies anywhere. You will want to pay attention the size of the screen, how it gets set up and stored and what image quality will look best with the screen.
White Screen Paint
Here is an option if you want to paint your screen onto a wall or board. You can get yourself a few gallons of screen paint. The paint comes in different grades and will provide different picture quality depending on what you get. If you choose this option to you can make your screen whatever size you want and place it where ever you want. This option will often require some work up front and some planning. You will want to make sure you pick out a great spot and give yourself a couple of days for the paint to dry properly before using. Make sure to take your time to make paint the surface the best you can.
Be careful with these. Many of these are meant for indoor uses and are to be mounted on a wall somewhere. There are options where you can connect ropes or bungee cords for outdoor use. Just pay attention to mounting instructions before you purchase one of these. Sometimes they will come with stands you can use outside, sometimes they need to be mounted a different way. They can be good options just make sure you know how you will set it up beforehand.
So now you have some idea of the different screen types that are available. Here are some recommendations on quality screens that are in the $100 range. There are hundreds of different options to go with but we feel these are all great for backyard home use.
- Large 92″ diagonal display screen with clip style for easy setup.
- Designed to be portable and easy to store. Weighs only 16lbs
- Comes with a carry bag, 4 frame stakes, and 4 guidelines, sets up in minutes, Overall screen stands 80″ H x 92″ W (Inches), 80.5″ wide by 45″ tall (Inches)
- Use for backyards, events, indoor, outdoor, camping, RV, glamping, or anyplace you want to show a movie or presentation.
- 100 inch 16:9 Ratio Screen for 4K Projection. Wrinkle-free PVC Matte White screen with Aluminum Poles and Fixtures
- PORTABLE – Extremely Light, Convenient to Carry Around, Portable at 15lbs. Can be dismantled, stowed away in a car trunk.
- STABILITY- Triangular base frame provides stability and will not topple even after tolerable impact or the wind.
- ASSEMBLY – Can be Set up within 15 Minutes without a Generator, Inflator, or Hassle
- WARRANTY – 1 Year Manufacturer’s warranty (Customer Service Center in the US)
- VERY EASY TO SET UP–It takes less than 3 minutes to fully set up the entire assembly.
- EXTREMELY STABLE—An unique and rigid support helps maintain so much stability that it would seem as if it were fixed on a wall.
- CONVENIENT TO CARRY—A foldable setup stand made out of special lightweight materials makes it the most convenient portable outdoor projection screen in existence.
- High fabric screen 74.4″ diagonal and 16:9 aspect ratio.
- SIMPLE AND DURABLE—The pipe and drape system combines simplicity with stability,designed to be portable in sedan cars!
- High quality matte white surface provides 87″ x 49″ viewing area with 16:9 screen format and diagonal 100″
- Portable and steady tripod installation design for easy and convenient setting up,steel screen case with sturdy height adjustable stand
- 4-side black masking borders increase picture focus & contrast, assuring best quality video image
- Ideal for home theater movies, classroom training, conference room presentations, public display, etc
- Washable screen surface can be wiped with mild soap or water to keep clean
- 16:9 Quick Setup Entry Level Projector Screen
- Includes legs for standing & Screen material is shipped folded
- Cloth Material Stretches and Zips onto frame for quick setup
- Portable – Includes carry bag, Frame, adjustment tools and Screen Material
- Perfect for Outdoor Movie Events, even in your own Backyard
- Extremely lightweight and compact projector screen makes for the perfect mobile projection solution. Weighing less than 11 lbs with a carry case size of 45’’ x 8’’ x 5″ (L x H x D) it is easily transportable and once assembled, boasts an incredible 80 inch matt white viewing area.
- The robust fiberglass fabric has a 1.0 gain at a 120° viewing angle and is M1 non-flammability class certified.
- The tripod legs and 4-rod spring tensioning system not only allow for a very quick assembly, (in under 3 minutes), but it also ensures that the fabric is held perfectly taut whilst in use to provide optimum viewing quality.
- This projector screen has a viewing area of 70’’ x 39’’, or 80’’ diagonal. It has a 16:9 aspect ratio and is provided with a black carry case to protect it whilst being transported and stored.
- High Definition & High Contrast 1080p Resolution. 1 Qt. paints 2 coats on an 8′ X 5′ screen
- Easy to Use – Roll on or Spray on – Do it Yourself & Save
- 50% brighter than a normal white wall – Low Odor – No VOCs – Covers 40 Sq. Ft. with 2 coats
- One Step – Just paint 2 coats of 1 product – Ready to view in 1 day
- Excellent for home theaters, churches, class rooms, conference rooms, trade shows
There you have it. These are our recommendations for an outdoor movie screen that will cost around $100. The cost of screens can vary greatly. Take a look at some of our other articles for more information on creating the ultimate outdoor movie night.